Monday, July 12

Public Transport

My little beef with public transportation:

I commute to school everyday. It takes me 45 minutes to get from my house to school. I generally do not mind this commute. I take a book and read it while I ride on the metro until my stop close to the university. It is also fairly frequent and not to expensive which is really nice.

However, I was made brutally aware on Friday, that public transport is very nice so long as there are people to work it. Friday, there was a strike with all of the public transportation workers. So all the metros, all the buses, and all the trains in Naples and surrounding areas ran only for a few hours the entire day. I luckily caught one in the morning (not knowing about the strike until I arrived at school). I was not so lucky when I left school to try and catch a boat to Ischia for the weekend. I had a terrible time trying to get from school to the port and everything, and finally gave up trying to figure out when the next train would come and ended up paying too much for a taxi (I am sure the taxi companies were making some money that day). Then, the fact that it is all in a foreign language in a town where they speak with heavy dialect just complicated things. I made it, just not without some grumps.

I managed though, all is well, and I am once again on good terms with public transportation. I just wish I new just what the strike was about.

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to the real world. In Life some rain must fall. But persistence pays off in the long run. Can't wait till you get home and can hear all about your trip. Hope you kept a daily journal so you won't forget the little things that make if fun. Love grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what an adventure. All that would just intimidate me. :| Hope your trip to Ischia was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like your transportation journey came right out of the movies...such as European Vacation with Chevy Chase, awful movie by the way. Glad you figured it out though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Renee, I like your blog. It sounds as though you are having a blast. This is one of those trips that you will never forget. I look forward to many more of your stories. Keep having fun! love Tish

    ReplyDelete